Thursday, March 20, 2008

Puerto Rico Open - Round 1 Wrap

American Bo van Pelt fired a sparkling eight-under-par 64 to take the opening round lead at the Puerto Rico Open in Rio Grande on Thursday.

Van Pelt led by two shots from compatriots Ted Purdy and Kyle Thompson.

"I have no idea what a good score will be, you have never played here, just try to -- really try to take one shot at a time because you never know what a good score is," Van Pelt said.

The 32-year-old from Richmond, Indiana, has yet to win on the PGA Tour.

Purdy was pleased with his bogey-free six under.

"That was my best round of the year, best round in a while so I am excited about it," he said.

"It was windy, and I was determined to play well in the wind because we have had some windy days on tour here in the last few weeks, and I haven't fared so well, but I am excited about that."

Brendan Pappas of South Africa was one of five players who were tied three strokes off the lead after the first round.

No comments: