Thursday, March 27, 2008

Andalucian Open - Round 1 Wrap

Lee Westwood made a brilliant start to the defence of his Andalucian Open at the Aloha Golf Club with a first round seven-under-par 65 to lead the tournament.

The Englishman fired seven birdies and no bogeys to go one shot clear of 20-year-old amateur star Danny Willett, who shot a round of 66.

Veteran star Jose Maria Olazabal carded a decent round of 71 on his return from a seven month injury lay-off, while Darren Clarke could only manage to finish on one-over after suffering from blisters on both feet.

Leader Westwood said: "I'm playing with a lot of freedom at the moment and a 65 shows I've got a lot of confidence.

"I used a similar game-plan to last year but my game's always a work in progress. I've got a few things I'm working on with one eye on the Masters."

But the day really belonged to youngster Willett who was making his European Tour debut after he was invited to the tournament as a result of winning the Spanish Amateur Championships.

Willett got off to the best possible start as he eagled the first hole and he has admitted he will turn professional if he goes on to win the tournament.

"I was quite nervous, but starting with a 25-foot eagle putt took a lot of the nerves out of the way. I proved to myself I can play a professional golf course and play well," said Willett.

No comments: