Sunday, March 2, 2008

Johnnie Walker Classic - Day 3 Wrap

Unheralded Japanese golfer Taichiro Kiyota shot a 5-under-par 67 to take the lead Saturday in the third round of the Johnnie Walker Classic.

Kiyota, who eagled the par-5 sixth, had a 14-under-par, 202 total heading into the final round. He's one stroke ahead of New Zealand's Mark Brown (64) and India's Jyoti Randhawa (68), playing on his home course.

"This is unbelievable. I'm obviously very excited to be on top of the leaderboard. It's the first time for me to be in such a position," said the 27-year-old Kiyota, who hasn't won in five years as a pro. "I may not be able to sleep well tonight."

Vijay Singh shot a 69 and is tied for 10th overall in the tournament jointly sanctioned by the European and Asian Tours.

Brown, who at one point in his career gave up golf and took up an office job for three years, won on the Asian Tour last week.

"I had the ability, but I just didn't show it the first time round. I gave it up for three years and worked," Brown said. "Then I began getting an itch to start playing again."

Greg Chalmers, Phillip Archer and Graeme Storm were in a three-way tie for fourth at 11-under.

No comments: