Saturday, February 9, 2008

Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Day 3 Wrap

Defending champion Phil Mickelson bemoaned a woeful putting display after missing the third-round cut by six shots at the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am on Saturday.

Mickelson's title bid fell apart when he ran up a sextuple-bogey 11 on the par-five 14th at Pebble Beach Golf Links but he said the real damage was done by his total of 33 putts.

"That was probably the biggest score I can remember (on one hole) but that's not what really cost me the day or the tournament," the world number two told reporters after carding a six-over-par 78.

"It was missing all those putts because had I had anything go in today, I wouldn't have had to try to force something there at the end.

"I never felt good on the greens and I don't know what the deal is. They were rolling the best that I've ever seen them."

Mickelson hit 15 of 18 greens in regulation and putted for birdie 16 times. However, the only birdie putt he made was from inside two feet at the par-four fourth.

A three-times winner at Pebble Beach, he began the day six strokes off the pace and felt he had to press hard after reaching the turn in one-under 35...

Read the complete golf news story

No comments: