Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chowrasia wins Indian Masters


SSP Chowrasia finally banished the gremlins and stunned a star-studded field to walk away with the Indian Masters title as the Delhi Golf Club witnessed a new star on Sunday.

Son of a greenkeeper at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club, SSP -- monikered 'Chipputtsia' for his magical short game -- signed off with a blemish-free final round of 67 and his aggregate of 279 was enough to make him only the third Indian -- after Arjun Atwal and Jeev Milkha Singh -- with an European Tour title against his name.

Thus, an Indian went on to win what was the first European tour event in the country.

"This is definitely the biggest title of my career. I did not have any inkling before the tournament that the title would be mine," said the beaming golfer.

"As I played the last three-four holes, I knew I had the title in my grasp and all I needed was to stay calm, which I did.

"Now that I have won it, I would play both in Asia and Europe before attaining my ultimate goal to play in the USPGA Tour," he said.

Chowrasia pocketed USD 416,660 for his exploits and finally laid his fingers on a prestigious title after finishing second in the Indian Open in 1999 and 2006.

Damien McGrane (281) of Ireland finished second after his final round of 70, two shots ahead of Jose Manuel Lara, who shot 72 today.

Digvijay Singh (70) and Frenchman Raphael Jacquelin (74) shared fourth spot at 284.

My Thoughts
It's only fitting really that an Indian won the inaugural co-sanctioned event. It will be interesting to see whether he will eventually make his goal of playing on the US tour.

No comments: