Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Accenture Match Play - Montgomerie beat Furyk

Colin Montgomerie gained a major confidence boost by beating American Jim Furyk 3&2 in the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship first round on Wednesday.

The eight-times European number one came from one down after two holes, a run of three birdies in four holes from the 12th helping him seal victory on the 16th green.

"I'm very, very happy," a smiling Montgomerie told reporters after advancing into the second round of the elite World Golf Championships (WGC) event for the fifth time in eight appearances.

"I believe Jim Furyk, after Tiger (Woods) really, is one of the U.S.'s strongest match players and the toughest guys to beat. His Ryder Cup record suggests that.

"I've learned that I can still compete and I can still play this game. I've just beaten one of the U.S.'s top, top match players and toughest opponents. It's done wonders for me and done wonders for my confidence."

Montgomerie, whose world ranking has slipped to 62nd, was delighted to record five birdies and a lone bogey in 16 holes at Dove Mountain's Gallery Golf Club.

"I played particularly well," the 44-year-old Scot added. "I hit the fairways and got inside of him (on the greens) a number of times. And when I did that I took advantage a number of times...

Read the complete golf news story

No comments: