Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Goosen withdraws with vision problems

The title may be a little misleading, Goosen doesn't have a lack of drive, goals or vision, but a problem with his eyes after corrective laser surgery:

Retief Goosen's hopes of becoming the first golfer to win the European Tour's Qatar Masters on two occasions were wrecked on Wednesday when he was forced to withdraw with vision problems.

The South African came to Doha after undergoing corrective laser surgery ten days ago but during practice on Tuesday, his vision in one eye began to blur. He immediately travelled to Dubai for further treatment and was hopeful of playing the event even on Tuesdy night. However, he announced his withdrawal Wednesday morning, saying he was still having problems with his vision.

Goosen said: "I am obviously very sad that I am unable to defend my title. I came all this way to play but unfortunately the eye is causing a problem.

"I thought it would come good but it hasn't. I went to Dubai yesterday and the advice was to go back to London for treatment.

"It is a shame as I love this event, love this course and I can't remember the last time I pulled out of a tournament."

The absence of Goosen, twice a winner of the US Open, is a body blow for a tournament that has grown in stature over the last few years and taken its central role in what has become known as the "Desert Swing" which includes the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship and the Dubai Desert Classic.

Goosen joins fellow South African Ernie Els on the sidelines following the latter's decision to skip Doha this year and play instead in the Indian Masters...

Read the complete golf news story

No comments: