Sunday, January 27, 2008

Adam Scott Wins Qatar Masters



Bringing this news makes me very happy - and on Australia Day Weekend too!!

I had always thought that when Adam Scott finally broke his tournament drought it was going to be a sparkling performance and it didn't disappoint. It was one of the most amazing final rounds I have ever witnessed. His putting has always been a slight week point, but not today. He made five successive birdies in the first five holes he never looked back.

Stay tuned - I will post the full final days play news here when I have it.

Edit: I finally found the report

Australia's Adam Scott produced a record final round of 11-under-par 61 to win the Qatar Masters by three strokes on Sunday.

The 27-year-old Scott started the day tied for fifth place but came out firing to stun his rivals with a total of 20-under 268 and finish ahead of Sweden's Henrik Stenson.

"This is my lowest ever score but the thought of a course record was never on my mind," said Scott, who became the first player to take the title for a second time after winning in 2002.

He was in terrific form from the start, sinking birdies on all the first five holes. He added another birdie on the seventh for a front-nine 30.

His return journey was also impressive, with birdies on the 10th, 11th and 12th. After missing a birdie putt on the 14th he made amends with another two birdies on the 15th and 17th.

He said overnight rain and occasional drizzle on Sunday had made the course soft but added that the Doha Golf Course was tailor-made for him.

"It's a driver's course and it suits my game," he said.

The lowest score at the Qatar Masters was previously the seven-under 65 set by Sweden's Joakim Haeggman in 2004, which was later equalled by 2005 winner Ernie Els of South Africa.

Scott's sixth European Tour victory earned him a winner's cheque of $416,660 and moved him up three places to fifth in the world rankings.

Stenson finished second with 271 while South African Charl Schwartzel was third on 273. Stenson had a final round of seven-under 65 while Schwartzel carded a five-under 67.

Stenson, who had a share of second place overnight, equalled the previous course record with a seven-birdie final round. England's Lee Westwood also hit 65 but finished fifth after a poor third round, two shots ahead of Scotland's Colin Montgomerie.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How can I contact the author of this blog directly? I can't find any contact links. (It says "contact me" in the sidebar, but that's not linked to anything.) I am interested in buying links on your website via Text -Link-Ads.com, but they cannot find your site in their inventory. Please advise.

Anonymous said...

Yeah spectacular is was Tom - don't think I have seen Adam putt that well? Or it's been a long time since he has putted that well...everything was just getting in the fairway, getting in the green and getting in the hole. Just 'one of those days' says Adam! Nothing was going to stop him that's for sure! His first 5 birdies were awesome!!
Please join http://z8.invisionfree.com/Adam_Scott

Tom said...

In Reply to Leadslogic:
I am listed on text link ads, but all my alloted slots have been sold out so that is probably the problem. I still have 2 private ad spots (text links) for sale, which are above the fold in prime position (under the friends of this blog section).
If you are interested I can be contacted at golfblogger@live.com.au

Cheers
Tom

Tom said...

Suwii
Thanks for the comment. Adam Scott was so good I watched it again this morning!
Great site BTW

Cheers
Tom