Sunday, December 9, 2007

Golf News - Alfred Dunhill: Another Crazy Final Hole


Ernie Els suffered a final hole collapse to hand England's John Bickerton a third European Tour title in the Alfred Dunhill Championship on Sunday.

Els five came to the par-five 18th hole at Leopard Creek Country Club with a two-shot lead over Bickerton, who had earlier fired a classy four-under-par 68 to finish on 13-under.

But the triple major champion twice found the water surrounding the green to leave with a triple-bogey eight, finishing one stroke behind Bickerton on 12 under par.

England's Lee Slattery was tied with Els in second place after a solid one-under-par 71.

The 37-year-old Bickerton did not watch the closing hole of the tournament and was in disbelief when he was told he had won.

"I'm in shock. I was just around the corner talking to a cameraman and I thought I might have a chance of finishing second," he said.

"I had no idea what was happening behind me and it's all a bit sudden..."


Read the full golf news story

No comments: