Friday, April 11, 2008

Corona Championship - Round 1 Wrap

Lorena Ochoa maintained her recent fine form with a seven-under-par 66 in the first round of the Corona Championship in Mexico.

World number one Ochoa, who won her second major at the Kraft Nabisco Championship on Sunday, recorded a pair of eagles in her round at the Tres Marias Residential Golf Club.

Playing on home soil, the Mexican shares the lead with South Korea's Song-Hee Kim, who recorded six birdies in an eight-hole stretch to pull into contention.

"Playing here in my country is extra special," Ochoa said.

"I like it here very much, it's much easier than Mexico City. It looks like on Friday we'll have a great group and more spectators on Friday afternoon.

"I'm ready for it. I can't wait to get the feel of the big crowd and hopefully play good for all of them."

The 2006 champion here, Ochoa started on the back nine and overcame her lone blemish - a bogey on 14 - to finish with eagles on the fifth and the eighth.

"I don't think I've ever done that before, two eagles in nine holes," Ochoa said.

"It will be something that I'll remember for a long time."

No comments: